Allergic Reaction to Bug Bites

Allergic reaction to bug bite

Allergies are overreactions of your immune system some people have a reaction to a seemingly harmless substance or a foreign protein. Such as in the case of insect and bug bites most people may have a very mild and only slightly annoying reaction and others may have a life-threatening reaction.

Not all insect and bug bites cause an allergic reaction the most common are from insects that sting such as wasps, hornet, bumblebees, and the one non-stinging bug the fire ant.

Symptoms of Allergy

  • Trouble breathing
  • Skin rash
  • Hives
  • Swelling of the face and lips
  • Itching
  • Hot feeling over and around the area of the bite
  • Pain

Allergic reactions usually fall into one of three categories, mild, moderate and severe the symptoms for each category are different.

Mild Allergic Reaction

  • Mild swelling
  • Mild itching
  • The bite area may turn pink

This type of allergic reaction will go away on its own in a relatively short period of time. There is really nothing to do, but keep an eye on it, chances are the symptoms will go away you will forget about it in less than a half an hour.

Moderate Allergic Reaction

  • Pain
  • Redness over and surrounding the bite area
  • Warmth over and surrounding the bite area
  • Rash that extends the immediate surrounding area
  • Small bumps
  • Itching
  • Moderate swelling

A moderate allergic reaction from an insect or bug bite needs to be watched.

Wash the bite area with warm soapy water, pat dry, and apply an antibiotic cream.

Then with a marker draw a circle around the red or swollen area to see if it the redness or swelling continues to expand. You can also place a Band-Aid or a piece of gauze attached with waterproof tape over it.

If the bite area gets worse make an appointment to see your doctor. If you begin to display any of the symptoms of a severe allergic reaction get help immediately.

Severe Allergic Reaction

This is called an anaphylactic reaction and is life threatening, 911 should be called immediately.

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Swelling of your lips, mouth or tough
  • Dizziness
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Trouble swallowing

Or any other symptoms that you know should not be occurring.

Keep in mind that just because you have been stung by a bee or bitten by several insects or bugs in the past with no problems, that you can still develop an allergic reaction.

For more information and treatment for allergic reactions from bug bites visit your nearest Complete Care Emergency Room.